9/16/2010

About Face*

It’s about time[1] you learned the various ways we use the word about! Below are some sentences divided into groups. See if you can understand the meaning of about in context.

approximately
He looks like he’s about 40 years old. She’s about six feet tall.
Let’s meet at about half past seven outside the restaurant.
I think they left about an hour ago.

move around
Take a look about the place and tell me what you think.
Everybody is rushing[2] about like a headless chicken!
Stop waving that knife about!

be there
Children always leave their toys lying about.
Is there anybody about? Is Daniel about the house?

concerning
I’m worried about Daniel. He’s been acting strangely[3].
What’s the movie about? What’s all the fuss[4] about?
She wants to talk to you about something important.

almost finished
I’m just about done with the book you lent me.
I’ve just about had it with you! I can’t stand[5] your attitude!

going to occur soon
The movie is about to begin.
What a coincidence[6]! I was just about to call you!

opinion
How about going to the park?
What about me? Don’t I have a say[7]?
They’re getting married! Really? How about that?

Well, how about that?!


[*] cambio radical de postura, [1] ya es hora, [2] corriendo, [3] últimamente, [4] alboroto, [5] soportar, [6] casualidad, [7] opinión

No comments: