1/24/2012

The Second Conditional

Unlike the first conditional, where we talk about a current action with a highly probable future consequence, we use the second conditional to say that if we do the opposite of what we are doing now, the consequence will be different.


For example: If I studied hard, I would pass the exam.
(But the fact is that you usually do NOT study hard, so you usually fail your exams)


As you can see, the second conditional is the opposite of reality. In these cases, the probability that the opposite will happen is very low. (It’s possible to pass the exam, because you guessed the answers correctly or because you cheated. It’s even possible that you change your way and decide to study, finally.)

Its construction is: if + past simplewould + infinitive.

The part of the phrase with “if” can go first or second:
If I studied hard, I would pass the exam.
= I would pass the exam if I studied hard.

No comments: