3/01/2010

I Beg Your Pardon?!

Sometimes, a simple word or two is enough to get yourself out of an awkward[1] situation. Take these ones for example.

To apologize[2] for spilling wine on the clean, white tablecloth, a simple Sorry or I’m sorry will do the trick[3]. If you accidentally step on someone’s heel[4], say, Excuse me or Pardon me or I beg your pardon, to avoid a nasty look[5] or worse. For more serious problems like getting caught stealing[6], use Forgive me! Of course, your tone of voice is important.

Excuse me also works if you want to get up from the table to use the toilet. Or if you want to get past someone who is walking very slowly in front of you, simply say, Excuse me, and they’ll gladly step aside and let you pass.

On the other hand, if a woman drops her scarf, say, Excuse me, ma’am, but you dropped this. If you’re wondering what time the next train arrives, then ask, Excuse me. Do you happen to know what time the train gets in? So if you want to get someone’s attention, or if you want to interrupt someone, say, Excuse me, or to politely point out something embarrassing, Excuse me, but your zipper’s[7] open. Or, Excuse me, you have something in your teeth.

Occasionally, it’s possible that you didn’t catch what that bloody Englishman just told you, so you could ask, Sorry? or Pardon? and he’ll kindly repeat what he just said. But if you heard something scandalous that you just can’t believe, alarmingly reply, Excuse me! And if someone tells you something that is absolutely rude[8], answer with an accusing I beg your pardon!

Of course, it’s always best to sugarcoat[9] any request with Please!

[1] incómodo, [2] disculparse, [3] resolver el problema,
[4] talon, [5] mirada desagradable, [6] pillado robando, 
[7] cremallera,[8] maleducado, [9] dulcificar

No comments: