3/02/2010

Mind Over Matter

When we say that something is a question of mind over matter, we mean that we can use mental powers to influence physical objects, like our body. But we also use mind and matter to express our objections, opinions, warnings and worries.

Do you mind?
We ask this question when we want to know if someone objects to a particular action or object.
For example: Do you mind if I smoke?
You might not object: No, I don’t mind!
Or you might: Yes, I (do) mind.
In that case, we repent: Never mind! Forget I ever mentioned it.

If we want someone to stop doing something that is bothering us...
we politely ask: Would you mind not smoking here?
Or if we seriously object: Do you mind?!
To make a subtle suggestion, we propose: I wouldn’t mind a drink.

Does it matter?
We ask this question if we doubt whether an action has a consequence.
For example: Does it matter if I throw my garbage on the ground?
If you don’t care[1], you answer: It doesn’t matter (to me).
But if you do care, you answer: It matters (to me).
In this case, we take back what we said: No matter. It’s not important.

Or we can demonstrate our determination to do something by stating:
I’ll do it no matter how far I have to go!
I'll do it no matter what it takes!
I'll do it no matter where you are!
I'll do it no matter who stands in my way!

What’s the matter?
We might ask this question if we are concerned about someone because they look angry, sad or sick. If you don’t want to share your problems with us, you deny the truth: Nothing is the matter.
Or complain[2]: Everything’s the matter!
Or surrender[3]: Nothing matters anymore!
Or answer honestly: The matter is I just had a fight with my girlfriend.

Mind your own business!
We say this to someone who interferes in our life.
If someone is behaving badly, we tell them: Mind your manners!
To tell someone to ignore someone else: Pay no mind to them.

To warn people to be careful if, for example, we’re going to bump into[4] something, the British say: Mind out! Especially if we’re going to bump our head: Mind your head!
Or bump into them: Mind where you’re going!
Or as the public announcement system tells us as we step off the Tube and onto the platform: Mind the gap!

[1] importarse, [2] quejar, [3] rendir, [4] chocar contra

No comments: