4/05/2011

Let's Agree to Disagree

Let's Agree to Disagree is a polite way of ending an argument. Despite never agreeing with someone, at least you always have the fact that you disagree with each other in common! Actually, this entry has nothing to do with disagreeing (I just liked the title), it actually deals with agreeing, using a structure similar to short answers, which I call short agreements.

To agree with an affirmative or negative statement, all we need are three words: 

So / Netiher + auxiliary verb + (pro)noun

For example:
So do I. Neither can I. So have I. Neither will I.

Here are a few basic rules to keep in mind...

1) Instead of using yes, we use so to agree with an affirmative statement.
I am hungry... So am I.
I can touch my nose with my tongue... So can I.

And instead of using no, we use neither to agree with a negative statement.
I don't like Mondays..Neither do I.
I won't go to the party tonight... Neither will I.

2) Like a short answer, we use the same auxiliary verb from the original statement in the short agreement.
I am hungry... So am I.
I don't like Mondays... Neither do I.
I can touch my nose with my tongue... So can I.
I won't go to the party tonight... Neither will I.

And if there's no auxiliary verb or the verb be in thew original statement, we use the auxiliary verb do in the short agreement.
I used to like watching horror movies... So did I.
I never watch horror movies... Neither do I.

3) Unlike short answers, the subject often refers to the responder.
He plays basketball... So do I.
They grew up in New York... So did I.

But it can also refer to another person or object.
She likes Jack... So does Jill.
We haven't been there yet... Neither have they.
This machine is broken... So is this one.

I hope you understand this common way of agreeing. So do you!

No comments: